Dr. Jason G. Hurbanek, MD
Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialist
While completing his fellowship at The Ohio State University, Dr. Hurbanek was selected to assist in the care of Ohio State athletes, specifically the football, hockey and baseball teams. During this time, he also gained expertise in arthroscopic procedures of the shoulder and knee and developed a special interest in open reconstructive procedures of the shoulder. Dr. Hurbanek is the Co-Founder of the Big 10 Fellows Sports Society, as well as an Executive Committee Member.
Having played competitive sports all his life, Dr. Hurbanek has a deep understanding of the types of concerns athletes have. His training, along with working with various teams and trainers, allows him to bring a full circle prospective when treating his patients.
Dr. Hurbanek joined Hinsdale Orthopaedics in September 2009. He is active in research and is repeatedly invited as a guest speaker at national and regional orthopaedic meetings. He is the author of multiple scientific publications in orthopaedic journals and is a designated leader within the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). While he is active in returning his patients safely back to sports and activities, Dr. Hurbanek also serves his community as the head team physician for Joliet Junior College, Lincoln-Way Central High School and Joliet Jackhammers/Slammers.
After graduating from Denison University Summa Cum Laude with a B.S. in Biochemistry, Dr. Hurbanek went on to complete his Doctor of Medicine from the combined Ohio State/Cleveland Clinic Program. He took this opportunity to serve as covering physician for numerous Ohio High School Athletic Associations and Columbus City League championships. He received comprehensive training in orthopaedic trauma and joint replacement during his residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan.
Hinsdale Orthopaedic Associates, SC, September 1, 2009-Present
- Partner Physician – September 2011
- Team Physician: Lincolnway Central 2010 – 2017
- Team Physician: Joliet Junior College 2009-present
- Team Physician: Lincoln-Way Central High School 2010-present
- Team Physician: Joliet Jackhammers/Slammers 2009-2013
- Orthopaedic Medical Director: Alden Rehabilitation Center of Shorewood 2012-present
- Medical Staff Privileges: Provena St. Joseph Medical Center (Joliet, IL), Silver Cross (New Lenox, IL), Good Samaritan Hospital (Downers Grove, IL), Hinsdale Hospital (Hinsdale, IL), Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery (CMIS) (Mokena IL), Munster Specialty Surgery Center (Munster IN), and Salt Creek Surgery
Center (Westmont IL)
The Ohio State University Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship: August 1st 2008 to July 31st 2009
Henry Ford Hospital Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
- Internship/Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Detroit MI 2003-2008
The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, OH 1999-2003
- Bachelor of Science, Biochemistry, Summa Cum Laude: Granville OH 1995-1999
- Board Certified: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery July, 2011
- ABOS Sports Medicine Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) November, 2012
- Licensed in the State of Illinois
- Certified Independent Medical Examiner (CIME): ABIME, December 2011-Present
- Participating in ABOS Maintenance of Certification (MOC)
- Reviewer: Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, 2010-Present
- Past President and Founding Member : Big Ten Sports Fellowship Society 2009-Present
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) – 2009 – Present
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) – Fellow,Induction 2013
- The Ohio State Alumni Society, Buckeye Club
- Denison University Alumni Society
Leadership, Community & Extracurricular Activities
- Ohio State University College of Medicine Class of 2003 Reunion Weekend Co-Chair, 2013
- Multiple Running Races over 2012-present
- Chicago Marathon Finisher October 2012, 2014
- Twin Cities Marathon Finisher 2005
- Ohio State University College of Medicine Alumni Host 2009-Present
- Denison University Internship Program Host
- Smith BI, Huxel Bliven KC, Morway GR, and Hurbanek J (2015) Management of Primary Anterior Shoulder Dislocations Using Immobilization. Journal of Athletic Training: May 2015, Vol. 50, No. 5, pp.550-552.
- Hurbanek JG, Flanigan D, Bishop JY. “Rotator Cuff Repair Associated with Large Greater Tuberosity Bone Cysts: A Report of Three Cases, Surgical Technique, and Review of the Literature.” Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery2010 11(3): 67-71.
- Culp B, Hurbanek JG, Novak J, McCamey K, Flanigan D, Johnson DL. “Acute Traumatic Sternum Fracture in a College Hockey Player.”Orthopedics2010, 1;33(9):683-5
- Hurbanek JG, Anderson KA, Crabtree S, Karnes J. “Biomechanical Comparison of the Docking Technique with and without Humeral Bioabsorbable Interference Screw Fixation.” Am J Sports Med 2009; 37(3):526-533.
- Hurbanek JG, Hanson C. “Reinstituting a Universal Fellowship Match: A Resident’s Perspective.” AAOS Now, December 2008.
- Hurbanek JG, Anderson KA, Kaatz S, Shepard A, Workings M, Rand K. “Ulnar Deep Venous Thrombosis in a Professional Baseball Pitcher: A Case Report.” Am J Sports Med.;35(12) 2131-4, 2007.
- Jaffer AK, Barsoum WK, Krebs V, Hurbanek JG, Morra N, Brotman DJ. “Duration of Anesthesia and Venous Thromboembolism after hip and knee Arthroplasty.” Mayo Clin Proc.; 80(6):732-8. June 2005.
- Brotman DJ, Jaffer AK, Hurbanek JG, Morra N. “Warfarin Prophylaxis and Venous Thromboembolism in the first 5 days following hip and knee Arthroplasty.” Thromb Haemost.92(5):1012-7; Nov 2004.
- Hurbanek JG, Jaffer AK, Morra N, Karafa M, Brotman DJ. “Postmenopausal Hormone Replacement and Venous Thromboembolism Following Hip and Knee Arthroplasty.” Thromb Haemost.92(2):337-43; Aug 2004.
- Hurbanek J, Jaffer A, Tomford JW, Gordon S, Ghaffari S. “A 46-year-old Intravenous Drug User with Fever.” Cleve Clin J Med.70(10):906-8; Oct 2003
- Hurbanek JG, Baghdasarian SB, Palmer RM. “Severe Iron Deficiency Anemia.” In The Cleveland Clinic Internal Medicine Case Reviews. Eds. Longworth, Stoller. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, New York, 2003.
Click on the link to know more about Hinsdale orthopaedic
951 Essington Road
Joliet, IL 60435
Phone: (815) 744-4551
Fax: (815) 744-4756
New Lenox Office
1870 Silver Cross Boulevard,
New Lenox, IL 60451
Phone: (815) 462-3474
Fax: (815) 462-1032